Are you thinking of creating a blog where you get to share all fashion tips and everything you know about fashion? Do you have a passion for fashion and want to make some extra money by writing about the things in fashion that excites you? Well, owning a fashion blog on the internet will give wings to your passion and also help you to earn some extra income. You can share everything you know about fashion to the people using the internet. If you are a beginner, then starting a blog might seem to be a difficult proposition for you. But, actually it is not that difficult and with a few tips and guidance, you can create the best fashion blog that you can find online.
Before you get into the technicalities of starting a fashion blog, it would be ideal for you to make a list of all that you would like to include in your blog. You should be having a clear cut idea of what are the contents that would like to share with your readers. Having a notepad handy at all times will help you to keep on updating the details that you should use in your fashion blog.
In the following guide, you will get to know in detail about how to set up a fashion blog on WordPress. How to choose a hosting service, install the WordPress, create a theme for your blog and to choose the right plugins to make your blog shine on the internet.
Registering a domain name
There should be a name created for your website. This is called as the domain name. This is nothing but a readable web address for your blog site. A domain name comprises of three parts: www, this indicates that it is a web address, followed by some name, which are the main part of the domain that represents your business or website concept and finally has a .com which is the domain suffix. The other suffixes can be .org, .edu, .net, etc., depending on the type of website. For example, a domain name for a business website will be www.business.com.
Buying tips for domain names
- You have the option to buy domain names with various suffix variants that suit your website. Always think about choosing a unique and different domain name.
- Make sure the domain name is short and one that can be remembered easily.
- Using hyphens or other special characters or numbers in the domain name should be avoided.
- It is better to avoid buying hosting from the domain name registrar. Choose different players for domain name registration and web hosting. One of the best in the business for domain name registration is GoDaddy.
Setting up domain name for your fashion blog
- Visit the GoDaddy website by clicking godaddy.com.
- In the search option, check out for the domain name that you want to see if it is available. The middle portion of your web address is the domain name.
- You should double check for spelling and if it is not available type another domain name that you prefer and check if it’s available.
- Once it is available, GoDaddy will ask to choose the suffix for your domain name. Choose one that you find is appropriate.
- If the one you prefer is available, click on the green checkbox and then carries out with the payment process to complete the purchase of the domain name.
The domain name creation is the most important aspect of starting a fashion blog. This is the name that people will be typing in the address bar to reach your fashion blog site.
Ordering the hosting service
The next important step in the fashion blog creation and setup process is to choose a good web hosting company that will host your fashion blog site online so that others can reach your site online. Some of the popular web hosting services that you can find online is: Siteground and Bluehost.
To start the web hosting process, you need to visit the Bluehost. The process to subscribe for a web hosting package is as follows.
- Type bluehost.com in the address bar of a new web browser window and you will be taken to the Bluehost website.
- Click on the ‘Get started now’ option you find on the website.
- You will be directed to the plans and pricing page. Choose the plan or package that you prefer from the options available.
- Click on the select option under the plan and then fill-in the details needed in the sign up now page.
- Complete the billing information form and the payment information form to complete the purchase of a web hosting package.
If you have chosen Bluehost or Siteground as your web hosting service, then these services know the popularity of WordPress and therefore make it easy for you to install WordPress. It is so easy that installing WordPress can be done with just one single click. Once you have registered and made payment for Bluehost or Siteground, you will be receiving an email with your login details. You should use the login details provided to you on your email from Bluehost to sign into the website and enter the website section.
- In the website section, look for ‘Install WordPress’ option and click on it.
- On the next page, you will be asked to type in the domain for which you like to install the WordPress. You should type in the newly created domain name in the space provided and then click on the Check Domain option.
- Bluehost will check for the domain name and once it verifies your domain name, you just need to choose the Install Now option that you see on the next page.
- The WordPress will get installed on your system within minutes.
WordPress is installed on your system and you will be ready to use it to create your new fashion blog. You will need to login to WordPress using the username and password to start choosing and creating new themes for your website.
Installing WordPress manually
If you are looking to install WordPress manually, then you need to follow these simple steps.
- The first thing to do is to visit the WordPress official page and download WordPress on your system from the official download page. Make sure that you get access to the latest version of WordPress and download it on your system.
- The WordPress installation pack will be saved on your hard disk. Locate it and extract its contents into a new folder.
- The next step is to upload these files and folders on the web server and this is easily done through FTP.
- Upload the extracted files and folders and then upload it to the web hosting account.
- The next thing to do is to create a MySQL database for the WordPress and assign a user to carry out full operations. You will need to enter a username and password to setup MySQL database account.
- Follow the WordPress installation process that you see on the screen to complete the WordPress installation process.
The login to your WordPress will be sent to your email address. You need to use these login credentials to access your WordPress dashboard. The login page that you would be using would be like this www.yourdomainname.com/wp-admin. Once you log in to your WordPress account, you have the options of changing the settings.
Choosing a WordPress theme
There is no doubt that the fashion blog you are creating needs to look appealing and beautiful. As it is a fashion blog, care must be taken to make it look very presentable and filled with attractive and impressive pictures. There are hundreds and hundreds of WordPress themes that you will come across for fashion blogs on the internet. There needs to be something in the theme that makes your blog shining. Just having quality and rich content will matter no more. It has to have style and substance and make it look awesome. It has to be alluring and drive people to research it more once they land on your fashion blog page.
Some of the fashion blog themes that you can choose are:
This is a flexible and easy to use a WordPress fashion blog theme that offers you the option to showcase your content in a modern form. The theme layout is ideal for showcasing your blog on smart phones, desktops and tablets. The theme is WPML compatible and can be translated in various languages. This means that you can pull in more traffic to your blog site.
This is a modern looking and attractively designed WordPress fashion blog theme suited for the modern era. You can present your brand of fashion in the most modern way as it offers a host of advanced features. The Aden theme is responsive to all kinds of devices and is compatible with WPML. It has a visual composer that makes sorting of thing very easy. All photos uploaded to this theme get automatically resized.
Read & Digest
One of the most creative and ultra quick, responsive themes of fashion blogs is the Read and Digest WordPress theme. It offers plenty of features and lots of white space and is most suited for fashion blogs. The module and element in this theme are designed to offer number of page views. This theme can be customized as many times as you want by using WooCommerce plug-in that comes with the theme package. You have the option to personalize the theme by choosing any of the 14 different homepage options.
The Mag is a modern WordPress fashion magazine theme and offers you the latest trends that you need in the fashion industry. There are plenty of advanced features offered by the Mag to present your blog site in the most modern and attractive manner. Some of the features of the Mag fashion are: WPML compatibility, WooCommerce integration, ultra responsive, retina-ready, search engine optimized.
Installing WordPress theme
- Log in to your WordPress account and then click on Appearance option and then choose the Themes option.
- Now click on the Add new button you see on top of the page and then choose the upload theme option.
- Now click on the choose file option and then choose the .zip file that has the theme that you have downloaded for free or purchased. Once done, click on the Install Now option.
- Once installed, you need to pick the activate option to make the theme come alive on your screen.
Recommended plug-ins for your fashion blog
In order to increase and improve the functionality of your newly created fashion blog, you need to include many WordPress plug-ins that suit your fashion theme. There is a need to use some of the most ideal plug-ins in your WordPress blog to improve the functioning of the website.
Simple social icons
It is proved beyond doubt that social media platforms are an important source for improving and increasing traffic to a blog. By making use of the Simple Social Icons plug-in, all important media platform widgets are seen on the home page. This can be used by the visitors to share the favorite blog posts in your blog to their contacts. The Pinterest Pin in button allows you to share any images that you add to your blog post on Pinterest. All users that check out your Pinterest pictures just need to move the mouse over the picture to find a simple button that they can use to instantly share the images on Pinterest.
It is very important to add a little security plug-ins in your fashion blog site. This will help in keeping the data of your blogs safe and secure. Some of the plug-ins you can try out includes Securi, WordFence security, WP security scan, Sucuri security, BulletProof security, etc.
It is vital to have a backup of all the content that you are carrying on your WordPress fashion blog. You can use quality backup plug-ins like VaultPress, BackWPup, BackupBuddy, Duplicator, etc., to maintain your data safely in the cloud.