The advantage of using Google Analytics and Webmaster tools is that you get reports about your website that can be of immense help. With the data, you can analyse and track the traffic to your website in a detailed manner. Other than that, you will also get to know if your website is functioning properly and get reports about any errors. All these will help you to build your website in the right direction and keep it safe and secure.
What Google Analytics does for your website?
- The crucial parameter for the success of any website is the visitors coming to the website.
- In this regard, there is nothing better than Google Analytics to track the traffic stats in an authentic way.
- It will give you the geographical location of your audience along with other information such as the device used for accessing your website.
- You can even get to know what pages they are visiting on your website and for how long they are accessing the contents of your webpage.
- All this information can be very crucial to fine tune your content to suit the taste of the audience.
- If people are staying for long duration on any particular page, it means that they like the content.
- In this manner, you can even put content based on the geographical location of your audience. If you receive too much traffic from any particular region, you can add location specific content that will make your website even more popular.
- Even though there are many other options to get this data, nothing matches up to the accuracy of Google Analytics.
How to install Google Analytics on WordPress?
There are many ways in which you can install Google Analytics on WordPress. Let us see some of the popular methods in detail.
- Direct Paste method.
- Using functions.php.
- Using Plug-ins.
However, to do anything, you must first sign up with Google Analytics. For this, you need to have a Gmail account. If you do not have one, it is very easy to create one and you can do it anytime. When you want to sign up for Google Analytics, you will see an option to sign up using your Gmail account. Select that option and move ahead to the next screen. Here, you will be given two choices for mobile apps and websites. You can choose the website option and go ahead and fill in all the details about your website. After this, you will be getting the Google Analytics tracking code which needs to be inserted on your website. You can copy this code and insert it into the WordPress site.
Once you get the Google Analytics tracking code, you can use the functions.php method or directly paste it on your WordPress site depending on whichever is convenient for you. If you are not technically proficient, you can choose to use a plug-in which will be the easiest option.
You can also create the plug-in yourself and use it to insert Google Analytics to your WordPress site. All you have to do is to visit the header.php file of your theme and create a new file in the plug-ins folder. Then, take the tracking code given on the Google Analytics website and paste it on your plug-in. Finally, you need to activate the plug-in to be able to use it on your WordPress site. You will have to wait for some time after doing these steps to see the activation. Once Google is able to verify the tracking code and recognize the plug-in you have created, you will see the Google Analytics stats working on your website.
How to integrate Google Webmaster Tools with WordPress site?
It is very important to have Google Webmaster tools installed on your WordPress site. This will be the connecting point between your website and Google. Let us see how doing it by using a plug-in. All you need to do is to install the plug-in just like any other WordPress plug-in and copy the Google Webmaster tools html meta-tag code and paste it in the plug-in. You will need to activate the plug-in to get all the error messages and other reports about your website from Google Webmaster tools.
Google Search Console / Google Webmaster Tools
- To begin with, you will need to have a Google account. If you do not have one, you can create one anytime and use it for your WordPress site.
- Login to the Search Console of Google using your account.
- You can see the Add a Property button at the top.
- Here, you are supposed to enter the complete web address of your portal by including the https:// at the beginning.
- You can get the HTML Tag and copy it.
- Then, visit the Settings page in your website.
- Here, you can find the SEO tab and click on it.
- Paste the code into the Google field provided on that page.
- You can find it under the Site Verification Services section.
- Now you can save the settings by clicking the button on top of the page.
- Visit the Google Console Verification page and click on the Verify button.
- This will complete the process.
In this manner, it is very simple to integrate Google Analytics and Webmaster tools to the WordPress site. If you are not sure about doing it yourself, you can take the help of a trained professional to get the job done. You will be surprised to know that WordPress is a very user friendly platform and you can find many forums dedicated to developing this platform. Here, you can post your queries and experts in the field will be more than willing to answer your queries. Before choosing this option, it makes sense to check out the forum and see the previous questions that have already been answered in this section. You can also try out the simple instructions given in this article to integrate Google Analytics with your WordPress website.